Monday, February 11, 2008

Silly, Silly

This part isn't silly. I was reading blogs tonight, and Daryl at HE&OS mentioend that the South Dakota legislature killed a bill that would enable homeschoolers who scored at least a 24 on the ACT the eligibility to get a state college scholarship. BOOO

Now for the silly part.

When I moved to South Dakota, way back yonder in the 1980s, one of the secretaries talked about PEER a lot: going to PEER, getting PEER on the phone, sending stuff off to PEER. I thought she was talking about a person.

You see, in my 4th-grade geography studies, I was taught that the capital of South Dakota was Pierre. Pronounced PEE - YAIR.

Not so. The first time I mentioned PEE-YAIR everyone in the office when into hysterics laughing at me.

For those, like me, who didn't know: The capital of South Dakota is Pierre. Pronounced Peer. Or Pier. One syllable.

Trust me, I lived there for 11 years, and on rare occasion, I worked in Pierre. Shoot, I was even on the national news one time while walking into the Pierre courthouse. Of course they weren't filming me, they were filming the judge I rode with and was walking with, but hey, that was my claim to fame.

There, an interesting little tidbit for the day.

Now, if only Pierre would get their act together and recognize excellent homeschooled students.

No comments: