Friday, January 27, 2006

We're not book purists here

Woke up this morning coughing. Took the dog out -- it is unseasonably warm for MN this morning and feels wonderful. Coffee is taking way too long to kick in.

Sat down to read emails. I subscribe to a lot of homeschool groups. I skim messages for anything relevant that will help us on our journey. I reply if I can be remotely helpful, which isn't too often. Occasionally I reply if something ticks me off, but I'm going to make myself stop doing that.

Anyway, one of the groups I lurk on has just had a discussion about books, abridged, unabridged, etc. I couldn't believe my eyes reading the posts. They were discussing one specific book and many of the members were aghast that they didn't have the original, unedited, unabridged book. They were such purists! Many of them went on and on about not reading anything other than the unabridged. They were serious, too. It was as if those of us who read the abridged versions are severely flawed! Okay, I admit I am severely flawed, but I never thought it was due to my book choices.

It took me back to the book The Well Trained Mind. Bauer suggests that grammar-stage children do read abridged classics. In fact, she recommended the Stepping Stone series. One night, when we were all playing near the computer, I logged on to Amazon and started reading excerpts out loud from some of the Stepping Stones series. My DS was hooked and wanted me to order books. My DH said it was a good idea, too.

So I ordered a bunch. My DS, sadly, has never been one to pick up a book and read for joy -- except for the Magic School Bus series. He picked up Great Expectations out of our pile. And he read it. He read for a couple hours until he finished it, another unlikely occurrence. He has liked every single Stepping Stone book he has read.

When we organized the classroom, I noticed two in the series he had not read. Yesterday I had him read The Time Machine. He finished it in about 20 minutes. (It is a 2.4 grade level read.) He loved that. As we were discussing all these books again, I told him that they are abridged versions and versions that are written for children, explaining what that meant. His eyes grew very large when he realized we could trot down to the library and get "the real books." And then music to the mother's ears......"Mom, let's go to the library now. I want to read the real books."

My whole point to the entry is that I am glad I was not a purist. I am very glad I bought those Stepping Stones books -- they are also called Bullseye Step Into Classics. They started my DS reading, really reading. And now that he's finally reading between a fifth and sixth grade level, he still loves to read them as it gives him great confidence to be able to read them very quickly because he has always been a slow reader.

I have always provided, on occasion, DS books at lower than grade level to boost his confidence and help his fluency. I also occasionally provide books above his grade level to make him reach. I have never said no to a choice he makes at the library. Yes, he reads Pokemon books. Yes, he reads Garfield cartoon books. Yes, he reads twaddle. He also reads books I've carefully selected. I'm just happy that he's reading.

I am so happy that we are graduating and starting the "real book" journey.

2 comments:

samuel said...

Hi, I'm here today from Doc's site, though I have actually jumped over here a couple of times.
I'm guilty of book purism for the most part, but I loved your post about your son reading.
It makes perfect sense that our kids' reading is more important than book purism. I had never really thought of it that way before. Add this to my things to think about.
Thanks!

Michelle said...

I have to admit I'm a bit of a purist, too, but after reading your post I'm reformed. :) Fantastic; it warmed my heart hearing about your son beginning to enjoy reading.