Monday, January 23, 2006

Our Weekend

What do homeschoolers do over the weekend? What do atypical homeschoolers do over the weekend, I guess the question should be. (Sleep in on Sunday morning. In fact, have a pajama day on Sunday.)

We cleaned the house. It is so much better. We finished the homeschool room. We cleaned up our explosion from finishing the HS room. We did eight loads of laundry. We ran the dishwasher three times. We found 32 plastic glasses that we used for a cub scouts craft project and I just couldn't throw them away, so that's why an extra dishwasher load.
We went grocery shopping. We had Wendy's for supper. We rented movies.

We had no play dates this weekend. It was very cold here and we didn't want to go out unless absolutely necessary. Groceries, movies and Wendy's I deemed necessary.

Now for our movies. March of the Penguins, Polar Express and Sign of the Beaver.

We both loved March of the Penguins. DS got so upset with the death scenes. I thought he'd come unglued when the momma whose chick died tried to steal another momma's chick. DS kept commenting that the filming crew should have HELPED in many scenes. I kept explaining that they weren't interfering with nature. I'm glad we didn't see this in the theater because DS couldn't keep his mouth shut. He is very strongly opinionated regarding animals and their rights. Toward the end of the movie, if a chick died, he finally sighed and said, "Well, the mom and dad can try again next year." So maybe we made a little progress with understanding how nature works.

Polar Express. I was half afraid to watch this movie because of all the "it is weird and creepy" comments I heard. The Polar Express is one of my favorite children's books. Well, it wasn't the book -- didn't give me the same feeling. However, we both really liked it. I didn't think it was that weird. We'll probably rent it next Christmas.

Sign of the Beaver. Don't do it -- Don't watch it if you *loved* the book! I'm not one to bash movies that aren't true to books. This one bothered me, though. If you watch the movie to save yourself from reading the book, you're not getting even close to the book. That said, it was a good movie, we did enjoy it -- but we enjoyed it as an entirely different story than the book. I felt really let down, though, because I had higher expectations. It was one of our favorite books that we've read this year.

Sunday evening arrives, time to get back into a routine. Bedtimes stink. Here I am, 2 in the morning -- it's going to be a three-cup-of-coffee before I'm coherent morning.

2 comments:

Doc said...

My son really enjoyed the Gary Paulsen series when he was 10. It's probably considered "twaddle" but we liked them.

Frankie said...

We don't care if something is twaddle here. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check our library.