Friday, December 30, 2005

I just don't get it

One of my favorite homeschooling haunts has seen some controversy lately. For the life of me, I just don't get why the webmasters are upset with a certain poster. I just don't get it!

All posts from said poster have been deleted. Someone posted about it, and the webmaster replied with a "see-the-board-rules comment." I went and read the board rules. I still don't get it.

I see blatant violation of those board rules *all* the time. I haven't noticed others getting banned, but maybe I'm not looking closely enough.

One post that violated the rules in several respects did not get taken down. It was a call to arms post regarding NBC's new show The Book of Daniel. The poster stated that the show was making a complete mockery of Christians. The poster told us that we needed to write letters of complaint to NBC as a matter of principle because the media continues to break down our society by "allowing alternative lifestyles to become common place" {sic} and finally accepted by families. It seems this show centers on Christianity, homosexuals and drug usage. Hmmm, one word in that sentence pops out at me as the issue of complaint.

This post violated three of that board's rules. Personally, it highly offended me. What, am I stupid? Do I write a letter of complaint *before* I've actually seen a television show? Am I too stupid to actually *think* for myself? Do I need to blindly follow some cult organization's directives? I'm not a homophobe and I didn't think the show looked bad at all. Maybe, just maybe, people can learn from it. I don't like drugs, I'm very much against them. I don't even drink. I don't think that's "the" issue, though. Good grief, Charlie Brown!

Shees.

This makes me think of the word respect. I don't understand the reasoning for deleting someone's posts -- all of them. Not all of them are in violation of board rules, and I certainly question whether any of them were. I guess I really did lose respect. On the same token, many years ago a very wise man told me that you don't need to respect a person but sometimes you needed to respect their position.

I did lose respect for the person that became ban happy. I guess I'll just have to respect the position they hold in that it is their board and can do what they choose. I don't have to like it, and I don't.

The bottom line seems to be that it's okay if your viewpoints are slightly opposing theirs, but if you are way out in left field, forgetaboutit.

No comments: