Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Typing Programs are Hard to Find!



Typing programs are hard to find. I am not talking about the ever-present array of keyboarding software, I'm talking the old-fashioned typing programs that teach speed and drill, drill, drill!

My 10yos has a new "toy," an Alphasmart. This thing is cooler than sliced bread. He can use it at the kitchen table, and mom won't fear the dog inadvertently knocking it off the table because it is rugged. It's everything we wanted -- well, we wanted a notebook but couldn't afford that! It's Palm-Powered. Check it out!
http://www3.alphasmart.com/

DS needs to learn to type well because he just isn't good at handwriting. Lord knows, we've practiced over and over and over ad nauseam. Luckily, he knows how to type. We did a wonderful program in second and third grade called Read, Write and Type. http://www.readwritetype.com/ Of course I bought ours for $8 from eBay, not from the website. That was perfect for second and third grade. We then used an OOP book called Kids Can Type Too by Christine Mountford. This is an excellent book which I highly recommend.

We need more, though. I wish I had saved my college typing book. After searching online for a few hours, I finally found something that I think will provide what I am looking for: Typing the Easy Way (Barron's Easy Way) It's got the components I was looking for: speed and accuracy building and timed drills. From what I can see using Amazon's viewing feature, it starts small with goals of typing 10- and 11-wpm, with only one error and continues pushing speed and accuracy throughout.

Let's just hope it's appropriate for a 10-year-old!

I know we could use the computer and some fancy cartoon software. I just don't want to do this. I think DS really needs excellent keyboarding skills and I don't think they come from using game-type software.

I'll report on how this works down the road!

No comments: