Thursday, January 05, 2006

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

I'm the old dog. Can I learn to write? That's the main reason I started this blog. It flows just like I talk: discombobulated. Argh. Maybe I'll get better with age. Maybe I'll start writing as well as I did in college. Shees.

I know you can teach an old dog some things. I am learning almost as much about history as DS is. I am really enjoying our time together curled up in the big chair together reading and learning. I also get a kick out of the "public school" comments DS makes on a frequent basis. "Mom, in public school they taught us X, Y and Z. They were wrong! I'm so glad we homeschool!"

Even if I wanted him to go back to public school (which I don't) he never would agree to it.

What did this old dog learn about history today? Well, I learned about Squanto. I knew nothing about him. I must have been absent that day in school. Also, I learned the Pilgrims did not wear buckles on their hats, belts or shoes. One source says it was just made up, another source says it was common dress in the Salem area in the late 1600s. I guess I'll find out when we start studying Salem.

We really enjoyed reading the book Don't Know Much About the Pilgrims by Kenneth C. Davis. In fact, I also have his book Don't Know Much About History. I've heard he's too "liberal." Hmm. I use the History book as a reference book for school. When my mom died several years ago, I found that book on her bookshelf and asked dad if I could have it. I guess this old dog was absent many days during school, because I never learned 3/4 of what is in that book!

This old dog has learned more since high school/college graduation than I ever did in school. I love self-motivated study.

No comments: