Monday, February 20, 2006

Monday, Monday

Monday Monday, so good to me,
Monday Monday, it was all I hoped it would be
Oh Monday morning, Monday morning couldn't guarantee
That Monday evening you would still be here with me.
The Mamas And The Papas

Okay, take out the evening and replace it with afternoon.

We were having such a good school day, everything from attitude to desire to work ethic to understanding was going right. Right in the middle of our homeschool bliss, darn, the kid down the street rang the doorbell. School was over in a flash. DS had his coat on, was precariously hopping to the door while putting shoes and socks on. Who am I to stop a perfectly good "socialization" opportunity? lol

On his way out the door I just had to do it. I yelled, "We'll be starting biology tonight, dear, and you need to finish your grammar yet, too. Have fun." What a snot mom I am. I'm sure both boys rolled their eyes or better yet, completely ignored me.

I wanted to report that we started our Lial's Basic College Math today. While DS could always read numbers into the millions and billions since he was in kindergarten, he had to do it slowly because he was counting them out in his brain. Today's lesson was on numbers and "click" the light bulb went on when the book discussed "periods" as opposed to just groups. Good grief, that kid could read big numbers faster than I could write them. So then we looked up what came after trillion (really, I didn't know or care) and so on. We were writing numbers bigger than I can fathom. He was reading them faster than I could think them up. He was writing them faster than I could dictate. Honestly, he kept saying "More, mom, more." Obviously we took it to the white board and were going above and beyond the book.

I am very pleased with the explanations in our first day's lessons. Looking ahead, I think the whole book will just click with DS. Yes!!!

Wow, I think success was the theme of the day.

The question remains: Will I really make him do biology and grammar tonight? Ha, ha, ha -- YES, the evil homeschooling mom WILL. Only because nothing good is on TV tonight. lol

No comments: