Thursday, October 05, 2006

Frankie on politics

Thomas and I have been watching a little TV lately. What we seem to notice the most are the political commercials. We've been having lots of discussions about parties, how his father and I are 75% of the time polar opposites when it comes to politics, and how annoying the darned commercials are.

I just have to state that I had planned on voting a straight democratic ticket this year. Normally I don't vote by party, but I felt the need to do it this time. I am an independent.

That decision has changed. There is one woman, Amy Klobuchar, running for US Senate. She's a democrat. She has the most annoying commercial on TV. The darned thing plays over and over and over ad nauseum.

Thomas and I have discussed her commercial at length. We also gag every time it comes on. She has a mother talking about how Ms. Klobuchar brought her child's murderers to justice. That's fine, good job, Amy. But here's the annoying part. The commercial cuts away to other stuff, and then the same mom comes back at the end and says, "Mark Kennedy," the republican up against her, "You ought to be ashamed."

I'm thinking...why? Why should he be ashamed? What did he do personally to you to make that statement? He's standing up for his beliefs, running for office, why should he be ashamed? There's no connection to the statement. It bugs me. I just don't get the connection specifically of the victim mom making that statement.

I find it annoying. It's the kind of politics that I can't stand. Don't name call. It's childish. Really, the voters have more intelligence than you are giving them credit for. Talk issues, don't use playground language -- or rather, ahem, public school language. (Boy I had to get a homeschooler's dig in there!)

I don't think I'm going to vote for her -- all because of her commercial. If she approves that kind of thing, she's definitely not someone thinking on the same lines that I am.

Rant over. It was a learning experience for Thomas as well. We do not use the word ASHAMED in our house. It's a very powerful word that would be used only in dire cases. Shame gets you no where. Thomas is highly annoyed by it as well.

That all said, I didn't mean to put down the mom who lost her daughter. My heart goes out to you, you've suffered the greatest loss imaginable. It's just the way the commercial was put together and the amount of times it plays daily.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that one of the things I don't miss about American television is the campaign advertising. And one of the things I like about Canadian politics is the much (MUCH) shorter campaign period.

I've often thought that a study of campaign ads over the decases would be a fun, not to mention highly informative, way to study American politics, once the kids get to the high school years. And now with YouTube, I'm sure it would be pretty easy...