Thursday, October 05, 2006

One more thing tonight

I just can't shut up tonight.

Last week I ordered Megawords by EPS publishers. Yet another stab at the spelling monster.

We've done several lessons.

Guess what? I can almost see that lightbulb going off above Thomas's head! He's making connections. Finally!

The first lessons are on compound words. There is a big list of words at the beginning of the lesson. I ticked off the ones he didn't know when we started this chapter. It was a lot. Just the four days we've been working the program, he has figured things out and he is now only missing two words: horseback and snowshoe. He can't spell horse, for some reason...same with shoe. However, that was a huge list of words and he's got them.

It's funny because I've looked at the program in the past and thought there was too much busywork. Lots of worksheets, writing-which he hates-and stuff he calls busywork. He saw crossword puzzles in the book and balked because he doesn't like them. Guess who did his first crossword puzzle in the book today -- and was happy about it to boot.

I think we've found our magic bullet, our magic wand, our ace in the hole. I have my fingers crossed.

So far, Megawords is a huge hit!!!!

Oh, for fun I also ordered Wordly Wise 3000 at the same time. Why didn't I order that when we first started homeschooling? Another program I thought would be too much writing, too workbooky, too much like busywork. Nothing could be further from the truth. He's loving it.

Sheesh, I just love it when things go right!

Knock on wood. I don't want to jinx anything.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Isn't it great when something just clicks for them? I can't wait for the day when this sort of curricula is readily available on the shelf to peruse, instead of having to do the buy it from a catalog and hope for the best. I am always surprised at what the love that I thought they wouldn't!

mull-berry said...

Do you start out at level one for any age for Megawords? Seems so.