Friday, February 10, 2006

Another art mistake

We've been using Artistic Pursuits, which I think is a good program but my son doesn't like it. I thought I'd buy the Evan Moor book How to Teach Art to Children because it was listed as being for 1st-6th graders.

Well, that was a big mistake. We've done several lessons out of the book and made some cute designs and bookmarks, but my son thinks it is for kindergarteners. And it kind of is -- youngish.

So...if you want a good art book for K-2, buy this. I wouldn't buy it for older children that want to be more grown up.

Live and learn. Someday I'm going to move to a big town that has a bookstore. Then I'll be able to hold a book in my hands, flip through it, show it to DS and get his opinion. Of course I could have done this at the Evan Moor website...live and learn.

1 comment:

mull-berry said...

Take a look at Abeka Art B ... recommended for 5th grade:

https://www.abeka.com/abekaonline/abekaonline.acgi$bookInfo?58319

I bought this for my son who was in 3rd grade at the time ... I specifically ordered a more advanced book for the same reason you stated.

In the link above, it shows a one page preview. In my opinion, it has a lot of projects that a guy would want to do. The lessons are self-instructional ... with minimal adult help, it walks the student through the project. There are also 4 lessons for each month, each building on what was learned before. For instance, the stuff you do in Sept. is autumn related, etc. However, if you chose to start now, you could do the basic stuff (i.e., color wheel) then switch to a winter thing. Just a (long) thought!

Also, know what you mean by buying books "sight unseen." Ugh!