Tuesday, January 17, 2006

May we do school in the car tomorrow, mom?

Okay, he didn't say "may" he said can. At first I thought no way. Then I decided to "open my mind to the possibilities."

So tomorrow morning, we'll get up and get ready. I'll start the car and let it run 10 minutes to warm up, waste gas and pollute the environment, and we'll drive through McDonald's for hot cakes. Then we'll drive to one of the many lakes in our town. Then we'll sit, with the car running to keep us warm, eat our breakfast, be sticky with syrup, and attempt to do math.

I can envision it now...a beautiful morning, maybe 10 degrees if we're lucky, hopefully no wind blowing, looking over the lake with its abundance of ice huts -- think of the movie Grumpy Old Men.

Ah, life in small-town Minnesota.

I grew up in a big city. Moving to small-town Minnesota has been an assault to my system. There is *nothing* to do here. This adventure we're planning tomorrow is the most excitement we've had since -- since we went on vacation. I am going to have to quit reading blogs because I get green with envy when people talk about art classes, science classes, or visiting museums. I just dream of the possibilities living in a larger community -- or close to one. We're a couple hours from any large-ish city.

So...car school it is. In January. In Minnesota. Eh.

1 comment:

Doc said...

We're at least an hour to anywhere. We've "car-schooled" more than we've "homeschooled". In fact, I finally bought a conversion van with a fold down table in it, just for that purpose, heh.