Friday, January 20, 2006

You Can Count That As School

I once had a homeschooling friend who always said, "You can count that as school, you know" regarding almost anything. Her descriptions of what she counted toward school were rather broad. Child watches an ant walking on the sidewalk for 30 seconds -- bingo, "You *can* count that as science."

I don't. I just count it as life.

Anyway, I've been debating counting today as school or not. We are *still* working on the homeschool room. Silly, it's only 9 x 9 and it's taking us forever. DS decided on his theme yesterday, we went and bought some teacher stuff -- boarders, room decorations, etc. We've been cleaning, organizing, decluttering, shimming book cases, and decorating.

To count it as school or not -- hmm, I choose not. Our schedule we turned into the school district counted taking Monday and Tuesday off of this week because the public schools had both days off as well. We did school those days. So, I'm just going to count this as a vacation day.

Where does one draw the line on counting school days? I know that when DS was in public school, there were many times they watched movies -- not the educational types -- as rewards. They played games, did puzzles, etc. So, I guess I could count that stuff as school.

Personally, I just count all that stuff as parent/child intereaction or just doing kid stuff. Kids learn all the time and DS works hard enough doing his regular school that I don't need to count all the other stuff. To me, it's just part of being a good parent, it's just part of being a kid.

So if DS wants to go watch an ant, he is more than welcome to. I'm not counting it as school, I'm just counting it as life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post, but I loved it. I was laughing so hard I couldn't read it to my husband.

Pat